Smoky eyes technique
Those who love dramatic makeup would agree that smokey eyes are the best way to add the right amount of drama, and complete your overall look. Even for those who don’t desire too much drama should still try it out at least once, simply because it works well for all face and eye shapes and sizes. Though this look is adored, many don’t know how to achieve this look to add to their sensuality. As such, presented here is the technique to achieve a smokey eye effect to fulfill your desire and dramatize your overall appearance. Take a look. Whatever you do, remember that if you wish your eyes to be the highlight of your makeup, keep the rest of the makeup neutral.
Classic Black Smokey Eye
If you wish to transform your appearance from the girl-next-door, to the diva of the night, you can try out the classic black smokey eye look that is perfect for an upcoming party! Combined with the right outfit, you are ready to rock the night!
- Black Base, Matte Finish (or Liquid Eyeliner)
- Black/Deep Gray Eyeshadow, Matte Finish
- Neutral Eyeshadow, 1 light and 1 slightly darker (matching your skin tone)
- Black Eye Kohl
- Shimmery Silver/Black Eyeshadow
- Flat Brush, Firm, Medium-sized
- Blending Brush, 2 nos.
- Eyelash Curler
- Eye Makeup Remover (to get rid of fall-out)
- Take the flat brush, and dip it in the matte black base. Do not take too much on the brush. Just dab it in, and quickly remove it. A small amount is sufficient to start off with. If you feel you need more, you can always add some, but getting rid of the excess may be difficult.
- Apply the liquid only on the inner portion of your eyelid, in an upward stroke. Decide on a shape for your eye makeup. A shape that follows the curve of your eyelid is suitable. Remember to spread the color only up to the curve of your eye and not extend it up to the eyebrow.
- Continue spreading the liquid in an upward stroke. The stroke should also move in a n outward fashion, for best results. The color may begin to fade, and appear in streaks. To remedy this, once you have covered your eyelid with the base, just move back in a downward stroke to smooth out the color. The finished product should be smooth, and well spread on your eyelid.
- Use the blending brush and pick up a little of the gray eyeshadow. Just as you spread the liquid black base, spread the eyeshadow over your lid. Cover the entire base thoroughly, including the edges, as this will hold the makeup in place. If you spill the eyeshadow slightly outside the base it is alright.
- To soften the edges, brush them with the blending brush over and over.
- Now, pick up the other blending brush, and take some of the lighter shade of the neutral eyeshadow on it. Apply this shade below your eyebrow on your brow bone, spreading it right up to the corner of your brow, and up to the edge of the black base. Extend the shade up to the inner corner of your eye.
- Now dip the brush in the darker of the neutral eyeshadow, and spread it thoroughly over the lighter base that you have just applied. Lightly blend in, the edge of the black base with this eyeshadow.
- Pick up the blending brush you used to apply the gray eyeshadow, and hold it horizontally at the edge of the black base. Using an upward stroke, blend it in with the neutral eyeshadow. This will give the perfect amount of required shading. Once complete, you will notice a very light black gradient between the neutral eyeshadow and the black base.
- If you wish to have the black base highlighted further, you can extend the gray eyeshadow further upward.
- Using the blending brush for the gray shadow, pick up a very small amount on it again, to use it to highlight the lower lash line. For this, hold the brush horizontally at the outer edge of your lower lash line, and gently stroke it inwards, stopping at one-third of the inner corner. Ensure that this stroke connects with the black base at the outer corner.
- Pick up the kohl and apply it on the waterline, starting at the center and moving outwards in both directions. Slide it over and over to get a prominent outline. You may also apply a thin streak on the lower lash line.
- Use a mascara to volumize your eyelashes. You may also use an eyelash curler for a further dramatic effect.
- Use the blending brush that you used for the gray eyeshadow, and pick up some of the shimmery silver eyeshadow. Apply it all over the black base, but do not lighten the black base too much. A single coat should give the final effect.
- Complete the look by using a neutral or very light pink shade of blush and lip gloss. Nude shades go very well with this look.
Purple Smokey Eye
Purple smokey eyes are perfect for an occasion that requires elegant glamor. Those of you who are sick of the black smokey eye can try out purple for a change. Also, purple is more suitable for women who are slightly older. Though there are several other shades to choose from, purple is the perfect shade, as it is elegant, adds the right amount of jazz, and does not look overdone.
- Blending Brush, 3 Nos.
- Under Eye Concealer
- Neutral Eyeshadow (to match your skin tone)
- Dark Purple Eyeshadow
- Deep Purple Eyeliner
- Eyelash Curler
- Start by applying the under eye concealer to neutralize the skin tone. You may also apply some on the lid for a similar effect.
- Pick up the neutral eyeshadow on a blending brush, and apply it on your eyelid, extending up to the eyebrow, and also below the lower lash line.
- Now apply the eyeliner, very close to the eyelashes for a dramatic look. Extend it slightly beyond the outer edge of the eye for a catty look. Also, apply eyeliner on the lower lash line, which is the thinnest at the inner corner of the eye, and slightly thickens towards the outer corner. Connect the lower eyeliner to the upper eyeliner.
- Using another blending brush, pick up the dark shade of the purple eyeshadow, and apply it on your lid, but not up to the eyebrow, in the upward and outward strokes. Ensure that the coat is smooth and even.
- Apply a mild streak of the purple eyeshadow below the lower lash line. Remember, it should be thin, and one stroke should do the trick. Use a fresh blending brush, and smudge the purple eyeshadow below the lower lash line, by slightly patting over it. This will create the perfect smoky look.
- Use your mascara and eyelash curler to volumize your eyelashes.
- The final touch is again, to apply a neutral shade of lip gloss and blush so that you do not draw away attention from the eyes.
Get creative and try out different shades to find the one that suits you the best, and makes you the ultimate diva of the night.